Blog no. 7
A warm welcome back to the candlelight entries. Please light your candle of choice and settle down.Since completing my final year of university this summer, my dissertation has lingered in my mind. The freedom of topic led me to combine The Hunger Games (a book series I love) and Stylistics (a module topic I connected with this year) and turn it into this beautiful discovery of meaning. From this, I have taken my analysis skills to a new level. It has also given me a whole new perspective on The Hunger Games.
What I am going to do is split the topics up into three blogs and try to narrow down my findings; otherwise, I'll end up with another 9000-word version of my dissertation. Before I start, I will just briefly mention what I will focus on over this three-blog series.
In the first instalment of my stylistic series, I will delve into Collins's use of linguistic deviation. Followed by next week's, which will focus on allegory. The final week will discuss motifs. Each week will be further split into three aspects of each stylistic technique.
What is linguistic deviation?
Linguistic deviation functions as a device for writers to break the expected structure of literature. This essentially makes the piece stand out amongst others like itself, as well as emphasise chosen themes an author wishes to highlight to the reader.
The three types of deviation I looked into were semantic (to change the meaning of a word that can only be relevant and used in that specific fictional context), lexical (forging of neologisms) and syntactic (ungrammatical sentence strucutre/hyperbation).
Semantic deviation.
Example: "Tribute"
For us outside the context of Collins' book series, we would connect a "tribute" with positive connotations of the beautiful act of paying "tribute" to someone who made a good impact in our world. Whereas Suzanne Collins has completely shifted the interpretation to leave traces of negativity and ties to death, it just shows how something so subtle can be so powerful during storytelling. In terms of providing an understanding of social class, it is stated that "in District 12, where the word tribute is pretty much synonymous with the word corpse." Further building on the dark fate that comes with the lexicon "tribute" in District 12, which, for us as the consumers of Katniss's POV it makes it clear for our schema (how we organise information and build predictions in our brain) where and what to expect socially for her. That is, they are at the bottom of their society's food chain.
Lexical deviation.
Example: "Avox"
For me, this was the most interesting detail stylistically I found. It really provided me with an understanding of how much thought and depth was put into this first book. I discovered that if you split "A" and "Vox", you get a prefix and a root word. Both originate from different cultures, which have inspired different elements of this series overall. So the prefix "A" descends from Greek linguistics, which can be translated as "not" or "without". Then the root word "Vox" derives from Latin, meaning "voice". So, by Collin's merging them together, she created the noun "Avox", otherwise known as "Voiceless". What is an Avox in The Hunger Games? It is a person who has spoken or acted against the Capitol who as punishment, has had their tongue cut out and are now forced loyal slaves destined to serve the Capitol. They are completely dehumanised, playing right back into the purpose of social class. Collins is a genius!
Syntactic deviation.
Example: "Happy Hunger Games!"
This was also such a fun one to look into stylistically. Starting with "Happy Hunger Games", this is evidently missing a subject such as "I" and a finite verb; in this case, let's use "hope" as a replacement. Grammatically, it should read as "I wish you a Happy Hunger Games". By removing these lexicons, Collins erases Effie’s (host of District 12's reaping ceremony) personal responsibility and connection to the lower district in contrast to her higher social status. It also reframes the tragic event as something to be celebrated and consumed as media for those members of the Capitol who have not had to experience the terror of their child going off to be slaughtered for entertainment.
Blog Wrap Up.
Contextually, Suzanne Collins is drawing on and critiquing the wars tied to America that were ongoing while she was writing. It is evident through her inspiration, such as the Iraq War (2003-2011), the persistent surveillance and narratives crafted on news channels to benefit one specific storyline. Overall, words can be weapons of manipulation to benefit the elite while stealing human rights from the poor, and Collins demonstrates this magnificently. She has really taught me to open my eyes and look within the flaws of my own society, and even though I already knew they were there, my understanding of them is completely heightened. I really hope you found this as interesting as I did while researching and writing my dissertation earlier this year!
Question: What is your favourite Hunger Games universe detail?
Until the next wick burns low,
Esme-Rose xoxo
Comments
Post a Comment